HOWTO: see what changes during updates from git and can we find old versions ?
How do we see if and/or which software changed?
Version tags from
git describe are in /var/log/bliss for the core part of bliss:
2021-11-24 10:02:58,855 ... 1.9.0+78-g32a952c43 2021-11-24 10:08:07,113 ... 1.9.0+155-g7dba5318e
Those strings mean something to
git diff on the local machine:
git diff 1.9.0+78-g32a952c43 1.9.0+156-ga93013ef1
- are these tags meaningful here on gitlab and are they going to get preserved in the future ?
- do those tags survive after history rewrites ?
- what about the version for beamline configuration yaml (etc) files ?
- what about the version of packages in the conda environment ?
- what about the version(s) for the script(s) imported during setup ? Are they even in git ?
- what about the system packages from puppet ?
This is mainly to make it easier for debugging, but there is also a theory about "FAIR" principles where the "R" is for aiming to do "Reproducible" research.